Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Peter Doherty... Times Two

Peter Doherty is a musician, best known as the frontman for The Libertines and Babyshambles.

I have to be honest, I don't really know much about the guy, other than the fact that a friend of mine is a fan of his. He showed me a gouache portrait that he did of Doherty that came out well and showed me the source to compare. I rather liked the composition of the reference photo, so I decided to take a crack at my own version.

Here's my first attempt...



I thought this one was going alright... at least until I finished inking it and actually looked at the drawing. While it's not terrible, I hadn't really been paying attention when I was doing the pencils, and was drawing from a weird angle, so I didn't even realize things were out of proportion.

So, after a mild annoyance I tried again. Why? Because, dammit, I have to!


This one came out better, and generally more in proportion and observed. I think the inking felt a lot more solid and confident too. The ties/scarves he was wearing in that photo gave me some trouble though... Ah well. Just gotta keep moving forward then.

No comments:

Post a Comment