Saturday, January 26, 2013

Tetra


Some more FireAlpaca practice. Since a HD remake of Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker was announced recently, I thought this would be appropriate. While I had sort of played Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask (my first Zelda games) before, I don't think my love of this franchise was really cemented until Wind Waker came around. Of the Zelda games I have played*, it may not be my absolute top favorite now, but it's still one of my favorites overall (behind Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword). Tetra's also a pretty a cool character, and maybe because I didn't know much about the Zelda universe when I first played Wind Waker, it made the revelation of her true identity far more surprising to me.

*Yes, I realize it's probably unforgivable I haven't actually played the older games yet.

This was also a pretty fun piece to work on, overall. I mostly drew her from memory, but then had to check an official illustration or two to get certain details a little closer to the original. Something I'm learning is to not commit too early to my roughs. My first pass inking and coloring came out really sloppy and details just didn't look right, so I started a new layer to tighten my "pencils" layer and then re-inked it. The final result is overall much stronger because of that.


The first pencils and inks didn't seems all that bad to me to be honest, but once I started coloring and taking away the underdrawing, I started seeing problems with it. There's something off about her face and it's just not all that specific in some areas. After getting a few helpful words from the homie Jaime Hernandez, I went back into it and fixed up the pencils and inking to something far more satisfactory.


Overall, it's a better drawing that feels more like the character, and I'm happy with it.

------

Oh right, and I've joined the rest of the 21st century and started a tumblr blog... there's not much on there yet, and I imagine that and this blog will share some contents (though this one will have more writing/process stuff), but I'll see what I can do to separate the two further to keep people interested (sketch weeks? Comics? Let me know... the two of that are reading this).

No comments:

Post a Comment